St Lucia Bay Leaf
St Lucia Bay Leaf (25 leaves/approx. 15g)
West Indian bay leaves come from the bay leaf tree which grows in sunny climates. Also referred to as ‘spice tree’ or ‘bay rum tree’. Our Bay leaf is freshly picked from the St Lucia bay leaf tree, then dried using the natural heat from the glorious St Lucia sun.
Bay leaves are traditionally used as a cooking herb and added to cooked dishes such as soups and stews. Adding just 1 or 2 leaves provides a depth of flavour to the dish with its distinctive, aromatic taste.
Bay leaves can also be prepared as a tea. The leaf is said to have medicinal properties that help treat numerous ailments. You can also try burning bay leaf during spiritual practices to cleanse your space.
Benefits of Bay Leaf:
Rich in vitamins
Bay leaves are a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
Good for digestion
Bay leaves can help to promote healthy digestion; they can help relieve symptoms of heartburn and flatulence. Drinking bay leaf tea is said to help treat issues relating to the digestive system such as constipation, acid reflux and irregular bowel movements.
Helps treat kidney problems
Drinking bay leaf tea twice daily can help in treating kidney stones and kidney infections.
Good for the cardiovascular system
Bay leaves can help to prevent issues with the cardiovascular system such as heart attacks and strokes. They can help to improve heart health and function due to the compounds that they contain.
Helps with managing diabetes
Bay leaves contain antioxidants which allow the body to process insulin more efficiently. Drinking Bay leaf tea daily can help to lower blood sugar levels as well as, cholesterol and triglyceride levels. (Be sure to consult a medical professional if you are already taking medication!).
It is said that bay leaves can work against muscle aches and pains as they have anti-inflammatory effects on the body. Bay leaf can help with joint pains and swelling.
State of relaxation
Many people use bay leaves in meditation practice by burning the leaf. When the leaf is burned it is said to produce a nerve soothing effect, which can put you in a relaxed state of mind, helping to alleviate stress and anxiety. The burning of the leaf can also be done to cleanse sacred spaces.
Bay leaves can help to improve the appearance of the skin and reduce wrinkles. They may also be used to help with skin rashes and treat dandruff.
How to prepare Bay Leaf Tea:
- Add 1litre of cold water to a pot (preferably spring or distilled water)
- Bring water to a boil
- Once the water is boiling add 3 leaves to the pot and reduce heat
- Cover pot and let simmer for 10 – 15 minutes
- Turn off the heat, let steep until cool enough to drink
- Strain the leaves so you are left with just the tea
- Pour into your teacup and enjoy
- Remaining tea can be stored in a sealable glass jar in the fridge for later use, this can either be enjoyed cold as an iced tea or reheated.
Store leaves in a dark, dry place
What does Bay Leaf Tea taste of?
West Indian bay leaf is extremely fragrant and aromatic. Its taste is much more potent than that of the Bay Laurel or Indian bay leaf. The flavour is somewhat like cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and allspice all in one!
Ingredients: 100% Dried Bay Leaf (Pimenta Racemosa)
*Please note the listed health benefits of our products are subject to opinion and should not be taken as medical advice. Nutritional benefits may vary from one person to another. You should always consult with a medical professional before incorporating herbal remedies into your diet, particularly if you are taking medication, pregnant or breastfeeding.
*All prices subject to change due to demand and sustainability practices
St Lucia Bay Leaf
How long is delivery?
· Please ensure that your shipping address is correct before you make payment.
· We aim to dispatch all purchases within 2 business days.
· UK orders are sent Royal Mail Tracked48, Gel orders are sent Royal Mail Tracked 24.
· Pre Made Sea Moss Gels/ Wholesale Items are for UK ONLY!
· Please allow 1-5 business days for delivery. For international delivery please allow 5-10 business days.
· If paying with PayPal eCheck, it is our policy to wait for the cheque to clear before we dispatch your items.
· If buying from EU or US please note: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or international shipping charges. These charges are buyer’s responsibility. We will try our best to reduce the risk of custom/duty. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine any additional costs prior to purchasing.
*Please note we aim to dispatch all orders within 2 business days. We cannot guarantee that Royal Mail will process the order right away due to short staff and the current delays they are experiencing as a result of COVID-19. We ask that you please allow extra time for delivery.
*If you are ordering from outside the UK please be aware that Royal Mail are experiencing delays with international shipping due to fewer flights and longer turnovers at customs.
Thank you for your patience.
Where does the Sea Moss come from?
Our Gold & Purple Sea Moss grows in protected ocean waters in St Lucia.
Our Chondrus Crispus & Bladderwrack grows in ocean waters off the coast of the Republic of Ireland.